Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The DAMN Pencils!

I was really excited for Mitchell to start 1st grade.
I was thrilled for Mitchell to start 1st grade.
Did I mention I am happy about school starting.

Here is the first of many stories to come...

I picked up Mitchell from his classroom on Wed. of last week and his teacher informed me that Mitchell now had a new special job.
I looked at Mitchell and asked, "What is your new special job?"

His reply, with a large smile, "I get to sharpen all the DAMN pencils!!!"

My mouth dropped and Ms. Steffensons' did the same.
I was mortified that my good little 1st grader was swearing in front of his brand new teacher!
I asked him to repeat what he said.

Mitchell said, " I get to sharpen all the DAMN pencils!"

Again my mouth dropped and I explained to Mitchell that we don't use that word.
He argued for a moment and then gave a great sigh and said goodbye to his teacher.
We walked to the edge of the hall and I was talking to Mitchell about why we don't use words like that and he interrupted me.

"But Mom, I said DAMN, you know, like when a light bulb gets small, and doesn't shine as big."

"OH!!! Mitchell you mean DULL. When the tip of a pencil becomes small like a light bulb, it is called DULL!"

"Okay Mom, whatever, DULL!"

I immediately made him turn around and inform Ms. Steffenson that he meant to say Dim and now knows what the word DULL means.

So if you ever need someone to sharpen you DAMN pencils, just let me know, I have the perfect little boy to do the job!

10 comments:

Malma said...

Ha!!! I love it!

thesuperfantasticbeeders said...

Hilarious, I once had to keep soap in my mouth because I needed a b*tch (bic) pen!

Katherine said...

Okay, that's just funny. I'm so glad you are having such a good time as a mother. You are sweet, and I'm glad to see your family is doing well.

The Kleins said...

Oh seriously. Kids are so great.

marcie said...

Rolling on the floor laughing!

The Slaters said...

This made me laugh so hard. I could see one of my kids saying the same thing.Still laughing....

Mylissa 2 said...

I love it!!! You gotta love kids and their talk!

Mindy and Shane said...

That's a classic! I would have loved to see the teacher's face! I can't beleive he is in 1st grade! Where does time go??

Lizz said...

freaking awesome

Tricia said...

Too funny Heather!